Friday, September 7, 2018

So Many Smiles


Volunteering is definitely work, but a different kind of work. Three weeks in and I’ve met hundreds of people (whose names I still can’t remember...Samina, Mina, Amrita, Sabita, Pabrita, Sabina, Samrita to name a few. And you wonder why I struggle? 🤷‍♀️). Every day, I face new challenges which test my ability to adapt and be creative. I’m gaining an understanding of a totally different school system and figuring out how to address the needs of students with ages ranging from 6 to 47! 
Exhausted yet fully content, I depart from NAG in the evening with a smile on my face, usually hearing a few young students shout,  “Subha ratri (good night) सुभ रतृ,  Jessica Miss!”



3 comments:

  1. The school looks great! Is it a coeducational school? I noticed girls & boys standing separately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess! I love seeing your smile too! So much to learn in the midst of this experience. Keep these great videos and updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ending, with the dancing, reminded me of my camp days with friends and brought tears to my eyes. It looks like such a happy place. What a miracle!
    Thank you for taking time to make these beautiful videos!

    ReplyDelete

Reason 3: Connections

The people I met here were warm, friendly, curious and eager to strike up a conversation. Whether chilling with the surf instructors, buyin...